  Comments inline...

On 10/25/10 16:14, Alexander Hawley wrote:
> @jesse
>
> I've used several services. I haven't used Backblaze. It's been a while.
>
> I'd check out some reviews sites or search "backblaze sucks" and see why real people don't like it.
>

> @steve
>
> Let's all say it together: "F-U-D".
>
> In some cases, the benefit of a third party service outweighs the cost of the security risk. Should you attempt to roll your own business continuity or disaster recovery backup/restore mechanism, or leave it to the professionals albeit with some security risk?
>
> Requisite bad analogy: Do you hesitate to hire an accountant because he must be granted access to your financial records?

What I am saying is not FUD.  What I have stated are entirely legitimate
concerns, which most people do not do.  I am suggesting that people ask
questions about such services, as your data is leaving your presence.
>> guarantee
> You have a guarantee that you or your hardware won't screw it up? A lot of services are in use by many many clients. They have much more invested in not screwing it up.

Your hardware is not the question here, but the remote IS.  What do they
do to ensure
things work right?

>> bankrupt
> Are you less likely to go bankrupt perpetually upgrading/managing your own backup system? You should definitely check out the company, no fly-by-night places.

Legit companies go under.  Good strategies may not make it in the
workplace.  What happens if that
entity dies?

>> removal
> It's ten o'clock, do you know where your all data is? Probably not. Laptops, smartphones, and thumbdrives are much more likely to cause you business continuity trouble via misuse of data.

Yes, actually I *do* know where my data is.  Others may not.  I can't
speak for the data of  my
users, obviously.

>> subpoena
> Data on your server has more safe harbor? Doubt it.

No, and I didn't say that.  There are places that have handed out user
data simply
by getting a request from law enforcement, as opposed to having a court
order
(No, I don't know how the PATRIOT Act impacts this).
>> encrypted
> Encrypt transmission of course, but I'd venture if the backup service can't see your data, all you've got is offsite storage. That is, not a backup/restore service.

Huh?  A backup system IS offsite storage.  Thats all you want!  You
don't want them
to be able to peer into it.  You don't want to be able to make a share
to it--gads.

--STeve Andre'