  I have been using Rsync and a custom bash script to backup Macs to a
xserve since 10.5 was released.  With the 10.6.3/10.6.4 updates Rsync is
no longer able to backup to an AFP share (Rsync gets stuck on ..DS_Store
files which it copies endlessly until the process is quit). I tried
excluding these and other hidden files but the exclude is ignored.  It
appears others have this problem as well and the problem is not with a
change to Rsync, but a change to AFP.

In the past I have used Retrospect which had a number of problems, and
when I looked at other backup options many would not work with laptops
since the server initiated the backup.  Does anyone have a backup system
they are using for Macs that they would recommend?

Charles Ruggiero
517-432-4970