Sometimes in a French movie, documentary, or rap video you can see a judge (real or fake) standing there in his judicial robes, thumping a law book and answering a question like Dak's.    I don't think I've ever seen such a thing portrayed in an American film, much less in real life.  IANAL but I've assumed this somehow relates to a fundamental difference between the American/English adversarial system in which nothing is decided until there is an actual case to decide, and the top-down Roman system from which the French system is more closely derived.   Given a sufficient number of lifetimes in which to learn things, I'd pick this topic for one of them so I could understand it better.

John Gorentz