And ATS followed through with the following
link:  http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2323hq.html
.  However,  a) I don't know how any ordinary person who stumbles
upon this error would find their way to this link (or should I have
just Googled it myself?), and  b) the linked page addresses the error
"SSL Negotiation Failed: Certificate Error. Cert Chain not
trusted.  Try adding this certificate to your certificate database
for SSL to succeed Certificate Error," instead of the error that I
got, which was, "Certificate bad: Destination host name does not
match host name in certificate," so I do not know yet if those
instructions actually help in this case.

-- dkm