On 8/10/2010 12:21 PM, Aldrich, Dak wrote:
> Ok.  I guess I’m kinda confused about this.
>
> So, the MSU mail system will block things sent to an MSU account that
> it recognizes as phishing attempts.  Is that correct?
Short answer, yes. Long answer, it's like you said, "that it recognizes
as phishing attempts." Most of the signatures are based off of scam URLs
and fake email addresses. If the phish doesn't contain what it
(SaneSecurity) already knows, then it will get through.

> My next question is, does it do the filtering even if mail is
> forwarded from an MSU account to another account?
Anything that comes from a non-mail.msu.edu server (i.e. music.msu.edu,
gmail.com, etc.) is going to go through our ClamAV and SpamAssassin
filtering. The message comes into our system, it scans the message and
passes it onto either the @msu.edu user's mailbox, or forwards it
elsewhere (if it didn't first reject it outright).

> My mail is on our music server, but this particular was sent to my
> [log in to unmask] account, and obviously not blocked.  However, if
> forwarding bypasses the filtering, I can see why that would have been
> allowed to get to me.

Would you mind sending a copy of the message with full headers to
postmaster@? Thanks!

./brm