From: Brian Hoort [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 10:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] www. required on URLs?

I remember a time in the early nineties when "www." was practically required
on all URLs.  E.g. http://www.msu.edu, not http://msu.edu.   These days
sites almost universally work with or without it.  I notice that the MSU home page works both ways, as does my college and department sites, and all corporate sites I can think of.  Interestingly the MSU Library still requires this.  http://lib.msu.edu  does not work.

In general, what is the feeling out there on this?  From a usability standpoint, do you think this is just webmaster preference, or is this considered "broken" these days?

Brian Hoort
Computer Service
Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics Michigan State University
517-355-4701
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Skype:  brian_hoort