Quoting Brian Hoort <[log in to unmask]>:

> I remember a time in the early nineties when "www." was practically required
> on all URLs.  E.g. http://www.msu.edu, not http://msu.edu.   These days
> sites almost universally work with or without it.  I notice that the MSU
> home page works both ways, as does my college and department sites, and all
> corporate sites I can think of.  Interestingly the MSU Library still
> requires this.  http://lib.msu.edu  does not work.
>
> In general, what is the feeling out there on this?  From a usability
> standpoint, do you think this is just webmaster preference, or is this
> considered "broken" these days?

It was never required, just people follwing that I always thought of as
an idiotic convention.  I mean, if you're in a browser and don't know
that you are on the web, you're confused and perhaps saying "www"
only adds to that confusion.

I'd vote for having www optional.  Probably it needs to be there a
while longer, but I think the number of people who can't get to a
site without www is diminishing (yes, I've dealt with a few people
like that in the last few years).

--STeve Andre'