We do scenario 2 quite a bit in our dept. For a variety of reasons, we ended up rolling our own very simple solution. I'd be happy to show it to you off list if you'd like, but I'd be willing to bet you may want something more feature rich.

I have heard some very good things about Mailchimp, but mostly from non-edu sources.
--Ray