Thanks all for the constructive input, all very valuable.

I ended up suggesting he get a quote from a couple local vendors and the
couple which were posted in response here.  I did a pretty thorough
inspection of the drive and board, however, it is a case where the drive
spins up and makes noise, just not the good kind of noise.  Also, not
the click-of-death exactly, just some problem with the heads, motor, or
something.  So, I'm doubtful at this time of board issues, and sry to
mislead.  Still, it never translates to a semi-readable device so all of
the software options are a no-go.  If quotes aren't within reason and
he's ready for dire efforts I volunteered to do more of the mechanical
inspections involving taking the case apart, breaking seals and voiding
warrenties.  I thought I'd leave it one step short of 'more-damanged'
while he priced out external recovery options.  So, I'll keep all this
aside, and think it was great info in general for really recovering a
drive that is beyond software-readable.  FYI, I have used this site in
the past, and again today as a neat resource:

http://www.datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

I've actually matched failing drives to specific sounds on occasion
leaving me much more sure of exactly what the problem is.  Even
otherwise it can give a pretty good guess.  Thought I'd share it as
info.

- Joe