Quoting "Joseph M. Deming" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Are there any hard drive restoration services on campus.  The
> down-and-dirty kind involving clean-rooms and actual dismantling of
> hardware?  I suspect not, heck of a delicate and technical service, but
> I am about to recommend something to a user who forgot to do their
> backup, and I'm afraid he's not going to like the costs involved.  Any
> suggestions, on-campus or good experiences elsewhere are welcome.
>
> To be clear, this involves hardware that will not spin up.
>
> I feel this has been asked before, but I searched the archive and failed
> to find anything... sry =(  Found 'Data Recovery Service' from 11/08 and
> entertaining discussion on Freezing, Dropping and Hitting hard drive
> with mallet, but no useful names or places of businesses still in
> operation.
>
> - Joe

You probably can't do this, but if the drive is older you might be able to
assist the spin up of the drive if you can move the drive shaft a little as
you apply power to it.  I did that once long ago and got the drive to spin
long enough to get data from it.

A non spinning disk might--just might--mean an easier and less expensive
time of retreival, too.  If any of the 12(5v?) power circuitry is dead the motor
won't spin.  Thus there is at least some chance that it might be ok mechanically
but need an electronics fix, which is a lot cheaper than dismantiling a drive in
a clean room.

--STeve Andre'