From: STeve Andre' [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Hard Drive Restore on campus

The only caution with this is to stare at both sets of electronics and look
for chips with revision numbers on them, and hope they are the same.

Lots of companies use programmable logic and they always have a version
number associated with them and can be changed over time to fix problems,
etc.  Today the chips don't seem to have much in the way of identifiers, so
this is hard.  But changing out a board with a rev
a.1 chip with an a.4 chip can break things, or hurt stuff.

I did this with a WD drive around 2001 and had this horrid clattering noise
when I powered the disk up.  Checking everything for correct cabling
suggested all was well but the noise persisted.  Finally, talking with some
3rd level tech support people at WD, one person said "DON'T DO THAT!", as
the boards had a major software change for recalibrates, and the old
hardware didn't like the new firmware.

Always a crap shoot, and always worth the "back things up" mantra for your
users. ;-)

--STeve Andre'