On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:39:56AM -0400, Laurence Bates wrote:

> IPV6 is becoming more prevalent with Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 (and
> frankly is a nuisance at this stage) but I was wondering what MSU's official
> position is on IPV6 traffic across campus.

Well, I can say this much about it.  We do intend to support IPv6 on the
new campus backbone network.  It was not something that we could support
on the older campus backbone, for several reasons, the chief one being
that it was too resource-intensive on older network gear.  Additional
factors include lack of support for IPv6 in our campus intrusion detection
and prevention systems, and in many firewall systems around campus.

It will be a while yet before we can begin the rollout of IPv6 on the
campus network.  It is a project that we will begin to work on in
earnest in late summer/fall.  We will need to develop a plan for an
initial rollout, and determine when we will have the necessary
infrastructure to support it fully in systems such as static and dynamic
IPv6 address assignment, DNS registration, intrusion detection, central
and departmental firewalls, and so on.

I would imagine that there will be further discussion on this topic
in future IT Exchange meetings, and at the IT Conference held this
August.  By then, we should be ready to accept volunteers for units
which would want to be considered for a trial rollout of IPv6.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Architect	 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980