I had something similar to this happen once at a place I do some
consulting.  We had hosted at ACD.net, and we moved to an cheap online
hosting company to save money and meet our very-low bandwidth needs.
ACD.net did us a favor and kept the website hosted on their servers with
DNS pointed to their servers while we transferred away.  However, ACD
never pulled the old DNS records from their database after the migration
was complete.  We experienced people complaining they were still seeing
the old site.  What seemed to be happening is that people who hit ACD's
servers first (which is somewhat common locally and throughout the
state) were getting an answer pointing to the old site while everyone
else was hitting the correct authoritative server.  I didn't even
believe it for a while and attributed it to poor DNS config/caching at
remote location.  But, in fact, it was simply a left over record causing
some people issues.  It seems there are slight differences to your
story, but since the case is similar I thought I'd share.

** Please note I like ACD and they were doing us a favor helping us make
the whole transfer go smoothly after some technical issues along the
way, it was my fault as much as theirs I never got the old record
cleaned out =)

- Joe