At 02:38 PM 4/13/2010, Brian Pillar wrote:
Anyone out there have any experience with any backup solutions?

We're looking at an EMC Avamar to give us backup to disk to tape, but the price tag stands out in a not so good way.  I have also looked into Barracuda's backup service, but it does not appear that the backup data can be duplicated to tape or another device except in their cloud, and we are just not comfortable with our data out in a cloud somewhere (at least not yet).

Thanks,

We use ArcServe (v12.5) to do backups to disk which then get rolled to tape.   At the moment we don't do many backups directly to tape -- mostly they go to the disk staging area first.  The weekly incremental backups stay on disk for two months.  The weekly full backups get rolled to tape.  We retain the weekly backups for two months (I'd like to make it 3 or 4 months) and retain some of the monthly backups for up to 3 years.  We retain all of the monthly backups for 1 year.  In addition to backing up server disks, we do server-initiated backups of some desktop computers.  We also offer a service whereby desktop computers can back up files to disk, from where they are written to tape and then deleted from disk.   This works well only for a couple of client backup softwares that I know of.  Actually only one (Cobian).  I'm working with the vendor of another (Paragon) to see if theirs will work in this mode, too.    It doesn't work well this way out of the box.

The tape system is a LTO4 tape library we bought from Dell -- 24 slots, one drive.

About a year ago I tried to switch to Yosemite, but found it to be a tape-wasting system.    We went back to ArcServe.  We had been using a previous version of ArcServe for about 10 years, with a DLT tape drive system.

Two-thirds of the monthly backups get carried to off-site storage locations.  These locations are cabinets inside equipment closets in buildings within easy walking distance.

John Gorentz