On Monday 26 April 2010 16:11:00 David McFarlane wrote:

> I heard just recently that vitually every photocopier made since 2002

> contains a hard drive that stores everything ever copied on it, and

> those files then become available to whoever chances upon the copiers

> once they get discarded. Is this something that we need to be

> concerned about at MSU?

> -- dkm

I've been trying to figure that out. I don't believe that all do, owing

to the cost of many of them, but still, it means that very likely many

do.

One crucial issue is what the firmware on the printer/copier does with

the data. Given the size of disks back in 2002 they wern't that big so

recycling would have to go on. Today however thats changed.

The next bigish printer I have that I can play with for a day is going

to have its disk removed and examined. It will be interesting, I'll bet.

So yes, at least some departments at MSU should be concerned, I'd

think.

STeve Andre'