  I've been having a strange problem with an external domain name registered
at GoDaddy, and it keeps getting stranger.  About a month ago, we (my
department) took over management of the domain outreachscholarship.org from
Penn State.  My boss logged into GoDaddy and updated the administrative,
technical, and billing contacts with his info.  We built a fancy new web
site, and last Monday I logged into GD's DNS management system to update the
IP address to our web server here at MSU.  I was still getting the old IP
address long after it should have propagated around.  As was my boss, and
his boss.  Not good.  Several calls into GD show that for them, they see the
new IP address, but I see the old one.

  Here's the first weird thing: the tech suggested using a proxy,
www.megaproxy.com, to bring up the site.  When they do that, they see the
new site.  When I do that, I see the old site.  How can we both go to the
same proxy and see something different?

  After several calls to GD getting nowhere, we decided to transfer the
registration to Network Solutions, where we have several other domains
registered.  So we go through the steps to transfer.  My boss ends up
getting a message that says a request for transfer confirmation was sent to
the administrative contact, which it shows as the old contact at Penn State.
I did a whois lookup, and see the old Penn State contacts.  Aha!  The GD
contact info didn't propagate to the underlying registry back when he
updated it in March.  So I call GD again to ask what to do about that.  The
tech says that for him, whois shows the MSU contact info.  He told me to go
to http://who.is and see what it says.  When he goes there, he sees the
updated MSU contacts.  When I go there, I see the old Penn State contacts.
Strange.  Then he says he'll get up and go to an external computer and see
what comes up.  He puts me on hold for a few minutes and comes back saying
that from outside GD, he saw the old info, too.  Good!  So now at least GD
understands that something really is wrong.  But how can we both go to the
same external site and get two different results?
  At this point he's going to escalate the issue, and goes back to the
external computer to get a screenshot to staple to the screenshot from his
workstation.  But this time it shows the MSU info, not the Penn State info.
So I emailed him a screenshot from my computer, where at least it's
consistently wrong.

  So what the heck is going on?  I am flummoxed.  At least I got an incident
number out of it.  Previously I think GD just thought I was crazy.

--
Carl Raymond
Software Developer

(517) 353-8977