Your best bet would indeed be to whitelist mail.msu.edu (you may recall
my MSUNAG plea to do this back in December of 2008, you were even one of
the respondents :-) If you would like to take this approach, we have the
entire 35.9.75.x subnet (denoted as 35.9.75.0/24).

Furthermore, the way mail.msu.edu systems work are that each host holds
onto its own queue. We do not mix our queue up amongst other servers. So
if a message from the outside came into our servers, to
mx01.mail.msu.edu and forwarded off to your servers, and you temporarily
rejected it (which should be a 400 level error, not a 500 level
permanent error)... mx01.mail.msu.edu and only mx01 will hold onto it
and retry every 5 minutes for 15 minutes, then every 10 minutes for 1
hour, and so on (we follow the SMTP RFC "SHOULD" on retry strategies).

We run greylisting using OpenBSD's spamd and toss out 451 Temporary
failure, please try again later. If the sending hosts are properly
configured to RFC (should) standards, then we really don't have any
problems. Just sometimes we have people who are impatient. We also have
a way to configure it to throw 500 level messages, but that is for a
blacklisting mode only, as you would probably expect because the 550 we
can give is a permanent rejection. I keep mentioning this error because
I'm concerned about the 553 you specified below. Then again, I have no
idea how greylisting works on the M+Guardian.

Anyway, if you have any more questions or need some more help you know
where to find me. I apologize if I missed something, I'm working on very
little sleep and its starting to catch up to me.

./brm