Depending upon if he may want to expand his marketing/campaign efforts beyond text annoucements into fancy HTML email blasts to these recipients, there are several options. A few of the more famous (monthly priced plans): constantcontact.com, aweber.com, autocontactor.com. I'm willing to bet that any of these will allow your friend to import a CSV file. Obviously, the hosted service is not free. I'm not aware of good free hosted email marketing software.

>>> Richard Wiggins <[log in to unmask]> 03/09/10 2:50 PM >>>
A friend has gathered 3500 names and e-mail addresses of customers but didn't capture the info in a mailing list program.  He wants to set up an announcement-only mailing list for those people who have indicated interest in his business.

What mailing list software would you suggest in 2010 for this purpose?  Hosted like Listserv ($$$) or Yahoo Groups (free) ?

Or a desktop solution?  Suggestions?

My guess is the number of subscribers could double or triple over time...

Thanks,

/rich