Well Rich, if you get disposable laptops, then the point is moot. ;-)

I detest the downward spiral of quality of all things electronic, and
try to get real stuff whenever possible.  I'm still a Thinkpad snob;
the quality of them has gone down somewhat, but everything else
has and TP's are still at the top of the heap.

$600 and cheaper laptops are really really comon these days and
I've generally failed at getting friends to get the more expensive
thinkpads, and there have been nasty consequences to that: a
cheap HP that died during a presentation in front of a lot of folks,
a laptop that died during a writing retreat far away from any help,
and of course the obligitory death 5 minutes before submitting
a term paper.  I, sucker that I am had to deal with them.........

More and more, people are putting a huge amount of their lives
into laptops.  I now have 1T of disk and I'm not alone in that.
I think it only makes sense to get the best possible machines.

But obviously I am in the minority, and, given the expected budget
apocolypse(s) in the future I'm not sure this will be possible to
continue.

--STeve Andre'