For those of you contemplating purchasing desktops or laptops in these
difficult budget times, consider the following.

Identical OptiPlex 380 Minitowers, with identical warranties and parts.

Price at cstore.msu.edu Dell Premier store $1147
Price at dell.com small business $770
Price difference $377 (nearly 33% off)

The campus Dell rep will price match Dell Small Business deals in most
cases, and you can proceed to order in the usual way once you have a
quote.  What you get is exactly the same, just a lot cheaper.

Usually, the best pricing deals will be found by entering www.dell.com,
entering the small business store, and clicking on the deals tab.
Usually the Optiplex 380 is in that row of choices.  The same goes for
laptops, saved around $250 on a Vostro 17" laptop that was ordered with
research money.  You are constrained by what's up on offer that week,
but I suspect it will hit upon 80%+ of the needs on this list.

For more details, contact me off list.  If you have your own tips on
saving money IT wise, it'd be nice to hear about them.  We have been
purchasing toners for our dwindling supply of laser printers at
www.monoprice.com at great savings as well.

Peter Murray
James Madison College