Re: [MSUNAG] Gmail vs. Exchange
There are some relevant, important guiding documents that staff in particular should review when it comes to the use of these tools:

Following is new:
http://lct.msu.edu/documents/LCT-Appropriate_Uses_of_MSU_Google_Apps_Education_Edition_29_Aug_2009.pdf

and this one is updated:
http://lct.msu.edu/documents/LCT-Appropriate_Uses_of_Cloud_Computing_09_Nov_2009.pdf

/L

At 11:38 AM -0500 11/16/09, Patrick Thompson wrote:
Hi all,

I’m new to the list and a user (not an IT pro), and apologies if this has been
discussed before on MSUNAG, but I'm really interested to know why the university
doesn't plan to use gmail.  It seems like the privacy and ownership issues would
be overcome with the advent of google docs.  So, what's the difference with
storing potentially private data through gmail vs. docs in the cloud?  Reason I'm
asking, exchange is awful and bulky (in my opinion), often slow and often has
errors.  Either through app/vpn or exchange web access it's a pain to use outside
of university grounds.  If we don't fully commit to google apps then people won't
transition, they'll just stick with their old programs.  Plus, aren't we increasing the
IT burden by having to maintain two systems (training on both systems, hardware
on exchange server, etc.?)  When I heard that we were using google docs I was
excited, but the lack of gmail is a real disappointment.  I'll look in the archives to
see what's been discussed about this, but I guess I was wondering if others had
the same opinion.

"The past's power comes from experience, the lessons it dares us to dismiss on the grounds that maybe things will be different this time. The future's power is born of experiment, and the endless grudge match between fear and hope." Nancy Gibbs, TIME 9/21/09

Leo Sell
ATS  Help Desk