Has anybody seen this problem with a Vista Client where when the user tries
to open files off of a SMB server they get an error:
³filename is locked for editing by ³another user².

This never happens it for .doc or .xls files only .docx and .xslx files.

The user has office 2007 SP2 with the latest updates.

You would think that indexing would be a read only access, anyways, I shut
down the windows search service to see if the files are being indexed at the
time, we still got the error.

There is no google desktop search installed and as far as I know no other
program is accessing this persons files.    Indexing of that directory is
turned off.

When I use the MMC to display the servers share and the files open, often
times it will show the user has almost all if not all the files open in a
read only mode, like theyıre being indexed, preemptively scanned for viruses
or something.

It only happens on this one vista machine, no other machines have this
problem and weıve already used a couple of antivirus programs to scan for
malware.

I am going to download process explorer to see if that will tell me what
program has the file handles  / files open.

Anybody observed this bizarre behavior, whatıd you do to fix that.

LD

Lee Duynslager  LD
Information Technology
107 CIPS