Anybody have any thoughts on the best way to scan transcripts to produce
a file that is a) fairly clear text and b) smaller file size (we're
trying to produce pdfs ultimately)?

Basically, we ran into this last year for graduate student admissions,
where the stuff we scanned turned out to be significantly larger than
what everyone else in the college produced (although at least it looked
pretty decent :) ).

Since then, I've played with settings, and at least for fairly normal
documents, like letters and forms, I can get pretty decent quality by
scanning them as black and white images, with a reasonable compression
setting in Acrobat.  However, when it comes to transcripts, these are
printed on paper that is designed to be harder to copy in the first
place, and I'm finding I can get either a small file size with text that
would cause eye strain after a while, or a much larger file (as in
multiple megs) that's pretty decent to read.  Neither of these is
necessarily a great alternative, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has
run into this and what their solution is.

Thanks,
Gary