I am not sure about now, but the numbers I still have from 12/2006 were:

147,015 Total Account on mail.msu.edu
27,998 Accounts auto-forwarding

So about ~20% or so, definitely not close to a majority but that was 3 years ago.  I do know the at least roughly 2/3 of our College's faculty, staff and students forward their MSU email to our GroupWise system.   Anyway we could get accurate up-to-date numbers on this from ATS?  If for nothing else than curiosity's sake :)

Stephen Bogdanski
Information Technology Center
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University

>>> "Kevin M. Carr" <[log in to unmask]> 10/2/2009 11:34 AM >>>

> 3.Most people use Gmail or another provider for their e-mail.  If most of
> the MSU community doesn't use mail.msu.edu, then therefore they need an
> obvious way to auto-forward.

Can you provide any evidence that "most people" use Gmail something other
than mail.msu.edu as their primary mail service?  And most people would mean
50% of the all MSU faculty, staff and students.  I communicate via e-mail
with a large variety of MSU personnel and it is the rare case that someone
is using a mail service other than mail.msu for this communication.