Michael,

>That said, I believe that we should use commercial programs for the Web UI.
MSU does not have the resources needed to create a modern web mail UI. If we
do, is it really cheaper to provide this as a custom program rather than
using a commercial program. If no to either count, then we should use said
commercial program.

Horde is largely an off-the-shelf package, and it's my understanding there's
very little 'custom' besides the MSU Prefs, which could be improved.

I believe that it'd be difficult to implement and maintain a system capable
of handling ~1.5 million messages and several thousand webmail logins per
day with less than the resources currently dedicated to MSU Mail (two
sysadmins and one programmer for both webmail and the server
infrastructure,) whether you used commercial or open-source software.

I don't particularly *like* Horde, but I think that it's adequate given the
goals and constraints that the University has identified.

-Andy