Rich,

Are you no longer at ATS?   The MSU directory still lists you there.

I'm somewhat surprised to see this email, for a variety of reasons.

You gave me an invite to Gmail a long time ago (perhaps the first year it was in "beta"). I created an account, but don't actively use it. Halfway between then and now, I gave an invite to a current MSU student. For about a year, he would access the account, change the password, test it, and an hour later it would revert to the original password. Could never raise any interest from the Google professionals to investigate.

I prefer to use msu.edu via IMAP. But I did just use the web interface for a small task last night, and it worked fine.

Now I appreciate that you work at a higher level than us in-the-trenches people, and truly look forward to your observations. When I'm working on a computer problem, I might try to look at the documentation first. After two minutes, I slap myself and say "that is the old way". Then I flip over to a search engine for the answer. If you go to www.msu.edu and type "forward email", you get one good result. The first line of that document says to go into Prefs.

If the search engine doesn't work, I resort to phone-a-friend.
-John