On Monday 05 October 2009 14:13:16 Oscar Castaneda wrote:
> I have a couple of users having problems with MSU mail being returned
> with "local delivery failed: retry timeout exceeded",
> all of them today in the morning.
>
> Since then, the emails had been sent and everything seems to be working
> fine now.
> I am just trying to establish what was happening today earlier.
> It was email from mail.msu.edu accounts sent to mail.msu.edu accounts.
> They were sent with Thunderbird.
>
> Did anybody had this type of problems?

I didn't notice it, but there are many reasons why this could have
happened, including temporary problems in your building, or one
of the mail machines being overloaded (spam) for a while.

I'm used to problems that last 10 minutes or less--it's the longer
ones which are a pain.

There is also the chance that imap as opposed to pop would have
behaved differently.

It's just one of those things...

--STeve Andre'