Rich,

>Hotmail was born circa 1997.  MSU's first Webmail client was  born
>near that time circa 1998, written by a brilliant student, Charles
>Henrich, under tutelage of Chuck Severance.  Both had UIs superior
>to the current <http://mail.msu.edu>mail.msu.edu.

That's a matter of opinion.  I found the ca. 1998 version of MSU web
mail almost unusable, whereas I find the current MSU web mail
actually rather useful from time to time.

I hope that the current MSU e-mail team balances your dislike of
their system with my liking of their system, and just call it a
wash.  As a dance organizer once said while she collected feedback
forms from an event, she will always get complaints no matter what
and so thinks she did well enough if she just gets at least as many
compliments as complaints.

Just my $.02.  I wonder what others think.

-- dkm