OK, FWIW I will admit to once having my own experience much like
Rich's.  As I recall I merely wanted to enable a vacation message
(thanks for including that feature!), which I could only do through
the web interface.  So I logged in to mail.msu.edu and naturally
opened the Options category, and looked for what to do next.  I tried
both Global Options, and MSU Prefs, to no avail.  I *knew* that the
vacation option existed somewhere, as I had used it before, but for
the life of me I could not find it anymore.  I don't know how much
time I wasted searching for that option until, exasperated, I phoned
the ATS Help Desk to make this their problem.  Well, they explained
that I needed to click on the "MSU Prefs" link.  I had already done
that, I said, under "Options".  Only then they explained, *not* the
"MSU Prefs" under "Options", but the "MSU Prefs" out on the main
level.  Sheesh!  Why have two "MSU Prefs" that do two different
things!  I had just naturally assumed that the two "MSU Prefs" were
just two routes to the same thing, silly me!

So here is a case where I already "knew" how to use the system, and
still found it frustratingly unusable when I went back to use it
another time.  But I will admit that the ATS Help Desk did its job well.