If you think ISBNs are used by any library as shelving numbers, and if you
think a research library uses Dewey, and if you think libraries switch
shelving schemes in midstream.... then I'm not going to be able to make you
understand why changing URLs willy-nilly is common, but foolish.

URL changes that occur because you've hired a new director or installed a
new technology are inexcusable.   Period.

And if you insist on changing URLs in a site re-org, you can still build a
smart Error 404 handler that redirects to the old content.

Link rot is a willful, arrogant act.

/rich