Rich,

And why should I expect URLs to persist?  Shelf numbers for books do
in fact change -- as time progress, libraries may change from, e.g.,
the Dewey Decimal system to Library of Congress numbers to ISBNs, and
who is to say what further scheme will come along to supplant
those?  Must we forever lock ourselves into old organizational
schemes when better ones come along?  And the street addresses of
homes or businesses do in fact change all the time, every time a
family or business moves.  It is then up to the family or business to
arrange for mail and visitors to get redirected to the new address
for a short time; anyone who shows up at my address of 20 or 30 years
ago is just a fool, and I feel no obligation to provide redirection
from those old addresses.  And if an organization's URL scheme turns
out to be a nightmare, should they remain locked in to it rather than
revise it to one that better fits their and their customers' needs
going forward?

And after all, aren't URLs and all they represent just a *human*
undertaking, and humans notoriously unreliable and fickle, and their
systems subject to constant improvement?  I am not saying that I
don't want URLs to persist, in fact I would like that.  But I know
better than to *expect* such persistence, that's all.

-- dkm