At 9/3/2009 10:55 AM Thursday, John Gorentz wrote:
>There are academic publications that allow web links in their citations

Thanks, yes, I have noticed that, notably in the journal Science from
the AAAS.  And I find that disturbing, as I do not trust online links
and content to remain stable (organizational efforts
notwithstanding), and what assurance do I have that even if the link
does still work that the authors have not subtly changed the content
from the time the link got published?  I simply trust good-old paper
records on shelves (or online copies stored in my own local archive)
to remain more stable, if less convenient.  But then I am not a
publishing academic, so who am I to say?

(By contrast, at least Wikipedia openly admits that its content is
subject to change at any moment, and in fact makes a virtue of that :).)

-- dkm