There are academic publications that allow web links in their citations, and there are organizations that produce history pages that go to some trouble to make sure the links are stable.

The Michigan County History and Atlases web site that's managed by the UofM seems to go to some trouble to provide stable links for citation purposes.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micounty/

That's part of a good trend that ought to be encouraged.

John Gorentz