Since we've had a dozen students show up with this issue in the last few hours, I thought I'd pass this along and ask if anyone else is seeing this issue.

We've had a number of students show up today at our help desk, saying that when they shut down their Vista laptops or just close the case to force them into suspend mode, they get a Blue Screen of Death and have to manually power off the unit.  The one thing in common we've seen is that they've all installed Update for Windows Vista for x64-Based Systems KB972036.  When we go into Windows Update and uninstall this patch, the problem stops.

According to the detail information, this is a Recommended Update, not required, but it is checked by default if you have the standard Download and Install updates for me settings.  This patch "resolves issues with non-compatible applications for Windows Vista", but doesn't give much additional detail other than an MS KB article reference.

So, I thought I'd pass this on, since this particular issue has kept one of my techs busy for almost the entire day so far.  FYI, your milage may vary, updates in the mirror are closer than they appear.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836