Thank you Nick for some of your information.

I have figured out some form of making it work.

After noting that the Subnet Mask of the VPN connection was 255.255.255.255, i though... well... what the hell.  I set my machine to a static IP address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255.  After it warned me that it didn't match the local netowrk settings, and continuing to save the settings, EVERYTHING WORKED!

I was able to connect to my mail server, via all protocols, without connecting to the VPN.  Does that flip any switches as to what MIGHT be causing it?  I'm TOTALLY expecting it's something funky in the way i have the server set up... but maybe not?  I don't know.  Maybe a switch issue in the building?  I'm still grasping at straws.

Thanks for the info i've gotten from a few individuals.

-dak

* dak aldrich
* network admin
* college of music, msu