>>> Jon Galbreath <[log in to unmask]> 6/9/2009 11:58 AM >>>

My guess is that it's a driver problem even if you're using a newer one than the one HP has listed.  Have you tried rolling back to the one on HP's site?  It could also be a problem with the power management settings.  Some kind of conflict when the machine wakes up that takes some time to resolve, but again, could be  a driver problem in that it's not managing the wake up process properly

Actually you raise a good point.  I suppose it's possible that the driver HP ghosted to the hard drive might even be older than the one they now have on their site.

That's something I never thought about.  Can you trust the timestamp of a driver file as installed to correspond to its actual production date?  Hmm.