A spam email contained the following link to a .exe file:
http://mercadoabc.com.br/report_7070.exe

This file undoubtedly does bad things but out of curiosity, I downloaded
it.  The first thing I found interesting was that Nod32 let me download
it at all.  Once the file was downloaded, I scanned it with Nod32, no
badware detected.    I then uploaded the file to virustotal.com, which
indicated that the file had been previously submitted.  Instead of
letting the site rescan the file, I chose to look at the previous
report.  I was struck by the results.  Although a number of scanners
flagged this as a trojan, what was more interesting was the number that
didn't, including nod32, Symantec, and Sunbelt.  I wonder, if I let
Virustotal reanalyze the file, if more scanners would detect something
bad.  Not sure what, if anything can be gleaned from this.  Are the
scanners that detected it updating their definitions more frequently,
just more sensitive or what?

Al Puzzuoli

Michigan State University

Information Technologist
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033

517-884-1915