> My guess is that it's a driver problem even if you're using a newer one
> than the one HP has listed.  Have you tried rolling back to the one on HP's
> site?  It could also be a problem with the power management settings.  Some
> kind of conflict when the machine wakes up that takes some time to resolve,
> but again, could be  a driver problem in that it's not managing the wake up
> process properly

Actually you raise a good point.  I suppose it's possible that the driver
HP ghosted to the hard drive might even be older than the one they now have
on their site.

That's something I never thought about.  Can you trust the timestamp of a
driver file as installed to correspond to its actual production date?  Hmm.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Clifford Beckett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To Rich Wiggins
> I've seen similar problems with a Dell portable and an ALPs touchpad.   I
> ended up disabling the sleep-hibernate functions.
> Cliff

That's where I'm afraid I'll end up.  A rare HP computer with an obscure bug
related to sleep mode.  I don't think my odds of solving this are good.  But
I'll try the older driver.

Thanks, everyone, for your sage insights.

/rich