WARNING: Comment Contains ThinkPad Snobbery.

I've had four failures on ThinkPad power supplies among all
the ThinkPads I have ever bought or helped friends buy.  It
has to be at least 75 now.  The first two were for the 700 series
of ThinkPad (the very first in '92) and IBM didn't get several
things right, at the starting point.  But they learned.

As for warranties, I believe that they are covered for the life of
the machine.  The battery is only for one year regardless of the
warranty length purchsed.

Of friends who have Sony, Dell, Toshiba, HP and Mac laptops, its
a different story, with many failures.  This really shouldn't be:
everyone uses power supplies made by something like six
companies in Asia, but the quality standards are different, and
it shows.

So, sadly, I'm not surprised that you've had so many failures.
And yes, I would call that a design failure.

--STeve Andre'