I received this private e-mail indicating that this problem with reporting is not obvious.

I conceived of Service Alerts about 5 years ago as a way to alert customers of outages.  The concept was to RSS that info into computing.msu.edu.

Please go to computing.msu.edu and see if you see any alerts of any kind.

What you see on Servicestatus.msu.edu is not a Service Alert; it is emergency maintenance.  Emergency maintenance was conceived as notice that a particular service was down for a while.  A systemic failure that takes a dozen core services down was always considered a Service Alert.

The whole point was a way to get info out to 50,000 people, not 200 sysadmins who follow details.

Attached is a screen shot of the current computing.msu.edu.  A student trying to find out why grades aren't online sees nothing.

/rich