Hello

I am trying to use fsockopen() php function to check a valid email address.  Here is a code snippet:

function checkEmail($email) {
 if(eregi("^[a-zA-Z0-9_]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$]", $email)) {
  return FALSE;
 }
 list($Username, $Domain) = split("@",$email);
 if(getmxrr($Domain, $MXHost)) {
  return TRUE;
 } else {
  if(fsockopen($Domain,25,$errno,$errstr,30)) {
   return TRUE;
  } else {
   return FALSE;
  }
 }
}
Here is the error from the browser:

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in file name line...

Here is the failing on the if(fsockopen($Domain,25,$errno,$errstr,30)) line.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this error??  I am using a LAMP server.

Thank you,

Renee Starkey @}-----}-----
Information Technologist I
115 Old Horticulture
Language Learning Center, Michigan State University
Phone: 517-355-7587

Renee Starkey ;-)
"Strive to be the best you can be at any given moment in life" RmS