Maybe someone was thinking of old Windows bugs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263558  last updated March 11, 2009 )

"In earlier versions of Internet Explorer (Internet Explorer 3.x), DNS host entries are cached for 24 hours by default. In many cases, this is too long. During this period, some host entries stop working because of change in the IP address of the remote server that was initially resolved.

Internet Explorer 4.x and later versions modify how DNS host entries are cached by decreasing the default time-out value to 30 minutes."

Applies to all versions of IE 4 thru 8.
-John