I hope this doesn’t begin a battle on the discussion of ‘privacy’ but I was wondering if anyone else has been following this issue of ‘Phorm’ and privacy rights in the UK.  Upon reading today the details of requesting opt-out’s for specific domains, I was considering discussing with my department whether requesting an opt-out of scanning of our educational and non-profit sites would be a responsible thing for us to do to protect the privacy and anonymity we are supposed to provide to our users.  Here are the finer details of the option:

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/webwise/help.html#how-do-i-prevent-webwise-from-scanning-my-site

Then, I started to wonder:

1)      If MSU has even considered an opt-out of it’s top-level domain?

2)      If it would be against MSU’s privacy policies in some way for me to do this opt-out for our domains?

3)      If there are other reasons it is a non-issue for us or not in my interest to pursue?

I don’t think it’s a very good model overall, certainly new ‘services’ of this type will continue now to crop up across the globe and in the end it will take some sort of central ‘spamhaus’ type of service to manage a database of all of the global services and notifications just to keep up.  Also, from my understanding this would only impact UK (or otherwise BT/Virgin/TalkTalk) customers who are trying to access our websites from being then profiled by using our websites, which makes it largely non-applicable to bulk traffic.  Still…. Have other’s had thoughts?

-          Joe

Joseph M. Deming
System Administrator

MATRIX/H-Net