On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Ramon Hernandez <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Clifford Beckett wrote:
>
>> Hi NAG
>> Is there a recommend official time source on campus that we can access to
>> set a local PC's clock and a departmental server's  (Windows 2003) clock.
>>  What program is best to keep a pc with a bad clock synced to this time
>> source? (updates once per hour should be adequate)
>> Thanks
>> Cliff
>
> I've always used 35.8.2.41. I think it might be time.msu.edu, but I've
> always used the IP.
> --Ray

Haha this reminds me of a war story.  We had some linux servers
running ntp clients and pointed at time{1,2}.internal.company.com.
Then we got new servers for time{1,2}.internal.company.com, so we
turned them up and then we pointed time{1,2}.internal.company.com at
the new servers and turned off ntpd on the old servers.  Then a bunch
of machines started getting out of sync (we had kerberos auth which is
very picky about time, you skew a small amount and suddently all
kerberos auth attempts fail).  It turns out our ntp clients resolved
time{1,2}.internal.company.com when the client daemon started up and
then never re-resolved it so none of the clients picked up that we
moved the servers to new IPs....oops ;)