Stefan,

The short answer is "depends," the accepted list/filters does not
affect the SPAM messages that are in the SPAM folder marked as SPAM,
but the accepted list/filters does affect messages marked as SPAM that
are in the Inbox.

Currently, there are two types of filtering going on, server side
filtering and client side filtering.  The server side filtering was
supposed to go away back in December 2008, but was delayed until May
2009 because of all the problems with people using forwarding with
this method.

We are running into problems with the way SPAM is being handled with
both of these filters running at the same time.  Currently, if a user
has the server side filtering set up to "Move SPAM to SPAM folder",
then the client side filtering doesn't work because it only filters on
your Inbox.  In most cases, this isn't a big deal until you want to
specifically make certain some users never get moved to the SPAM
folder.  The problem is, if the server side filter (which acts first)
sees a message as SPAM and it's supposed to move it to the SPAM
folder, that's what it will do.  Now, when the webmail system sorts
through your Inbox, the message you want to "Accept" (rather than put
into your SPAM folder), the message isn't there, it's already been
moved to your SPAM folder.
The "Accepted List" in this case is useless.

What we suggest is that you change your server side handling (see
https://old.mail.msu.edu in the Malmail preferences) and change the
way SPAM is handled.  Either do nothing or mark the subject with
"***SPAM***".  In the webmail system, you can create a filter to
handle the SPAM in your Inbox and move it to your SPAM folder based on
"X-Spam-Score:" or  "X-Spam-Level:".

Note: It is preferred you use "X-Spam-Score:" or  "X-Spam-Level:"
instead of scanning for "***SPAM***" in the subject.

See http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=11172 for more information
on the new webmail filters.

I hope this answers your question.

--

Joe Besko                      Phone:        517.432.5335
Systems Programmer             Fax:          517.353.9847