Al,

At 2/26/2009 07:19 PM Thursday, you wrote:
>Plug in a cheap Linksys router, or some similar box, connect the PC to
>the router and rerun the DHCP registration.  This should register the
>MAC of the router and give it a different IP.    Of course now, the PC
>will be behind a NAT firewall, but I wouldn't think that should present
>a problem in most scenarios.

Of course, brilliant!  Matter of fact I pulled this trick once before
for a user who needed a static IP for their laptop when docked on
campus, and a dynamic IP for home.  I put her docking station through
a NAT router, gave the NAT router a static IP (that I got from MSU
hostmaster), and let her laptop get a dynamic IP from the router.

-- dkm