I've gotten it to work, I successfully have apache authenticating against our Active Directory. For those interested, here's what the Apache code looks like (with the sensitive stuff xed out):

        <Directory />
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
                AuthType Basic
                AuthName "Secure Area"
                AuthzLDAPAuthoritative On
                AuthBasicProvider ldap
                AuthLDAPURL ldap://xxxxxxx.lib.msu.edu:389/ou=staff,dc=lib,dc=msu,dc=edu?sAMAccountName?sub?(objectClass=user)
                AuthLDAPBindDN [log in to unmask]
                AuthLDAPBindPassword xxxxxxxxx
                require valid-user
        </Directory>

Again, this is a linux server, Ubuntu 8.10 with Apache2 version 2.2.9

BTW, there is a nice program called likewise-open that makes it easy to join an Ubuntu server to an AD Domain; to install it:

sudo apt-get install likewise-open

           Cheers,
                  Eric Weston
Eric Weston, Information Technology Professional
MSU Libraries Systems
(517)432-6123 x229