From: MSU Network Administrators Group on behalf of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Tue 1/13/2009 10:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] How hard should you hit an ailing hard drive?

My wife's home computer, a very kewl as of 2001 Gateway desktop-and-monitor
PC, died today.  The hard drive is able to begin to boot Windows XP -- you
see the logo -- so that implies that some data is loading from the disk.
However you hear lots of seeking noises, and ultimately no finding.

We probably don't have much data to salvage on it.  I find that in a cloud
computing world, I've Gmailed just about anything of importance to her or to
whaterver person I'm working with.

Still, I would like to take one last look at the hard drive. So my question
is, and I'm not kidding -- how hard do I hit it?  Do I pick up the unit and
drop it?  Do I take a rubber mallet to it?  Do I gently tap it as it tries
to boot?

Reminds me of a wisecrack circa 1979 -- on a clear disk, you can seek
forever.

Thanks,

/rich