Dennie,
I would check the following:

1- is the mail coming directly from mail.msu.edu to the Centro - if Yes,
then I would check your setup in mail.msu.edu to make sure it is in the
"desired" configuration.
2 - I am guessing that it might be a "hop" situation.  If I recall the
conversation I had with the Verizon person, you were really connecting to
two or three different "mail services" or "routes" when you had the Centro
or blackberry.
So depending upon how the phone carrier has them configured, which is
different from AT&T, Verizon and Sprint - you might need to set the phone up
in a different manner.

I think with the "hop" situation it would be like setting up a mail system
where the mail went from Horde (MSU mail) to Exchange server and then to
phone carrier - then to the phone.  Or the same type of setup that would be
needed if you had the connection to a blackberry for your exchange
server....

With Gmail - they know they need to support that, so it is a given and a
basic thing that they will do - due to the volumn of users.

I know this isn't an answer, however I hope this helps....

Jeanne

--
Jeanne G. Carey, PMP
Michigan State University