Having spent a frustrating afternoon trying to install XAMPP v1.7 I checked
into the source of the problem.  In doing so, I noticed the following URL's
which appear to cast doubt on the coding techniques used in some of the most
important open source code that we rely on.

http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2008/11/oops-we-did-it-again-mysql-51-release
d.html

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=36149

I particularly like the last comment of the second URL: - "btw: What was the
reason for not patching (MySQL) 5.x branches? "  All the more so since the
comment is only two days old and both Sun and MySQL.com are touting MySQL
5.1 as the best thing since sliced bread  - see below.

MySQL 5.1 Downloads - Generally Available (GA) release for production use

Important Platform Support <http://www.mysql.com/support/eol-notice.html>
Updates >

MySQL Enterprise

MySQL Enterprise subscription is the most comprehensive offering of MySQL
database software, services and support to ensure your business achieves the
highest levels of reliability, security, and uptime. MySQL Enterprise
includes the MySQL Enterprise Server 5.0 software, which is the most
reliable, secure and up-to-date version of the world's most popular open
source database. Users also receive monthly rapid updates and quarterly
service packs with the latest bug fixes of MySQL Enterprise Server.

MySQL 6.0 Community Edition - Alpha Development Release

NOTE: This alpha release, as any other pre-production release, should not be
installed on production level systems or systems with critical data. It is
good practice to back up your data before installing any new version of
software. Although MySQL has worked very hard to ensure a high level of
quality, protect your data by making a backup as you would for any other
software beta release. MySQL generally recommends that you dump and reload
your tables from any previous version to upgrade to 6.0.

Laurence A. Bates

College of Education

Michigan State University

217E Erickson Hall